Lollipop Drumsticks by Chris!
1) When the grill temp is at 250 degrees put a stick of butter in a tin pan and let melt. (you will also use the same tin to put chicken in).This will help with moisture and not have the chicken stick to the pan when you grill it.
2) Cut each drumstick 1″ from the top knuckle all the way around and remove all skin and tendons.
3) Slide down rest of chicken and skin as far as you can go down w/o separating the meat from bottom of the bone.
4) Remove the tendons and the skinny bone that runs along the main bone. Easy to do with your kitchen shears. Ok if some chicken comes off with it.
5) Tuck any hanging chicken back inside the skin. Wrap the top part of the bone/knuckle to keep it from burning.
6) I used Weekend Grilling Rub, and you really want to cover the skin real good.
7) Put the lollipops on the smoker in the tin with the melted butter at 250 degrees and you want to catch them with an internal temp of 165 degrees.
8) Once the lollipops hit 165 degrees, take the tin out and dunk each lollipop into your choice of BBQ sauce then put them back on the grill in another tin pan.
9) Smoke at same temp 250 degrees for 15-20 minutes to caramelize the sauce.
10) Dig in!!